Saturday, December 31, 2011

Words of Impact; Not Truth

"Assumptions are able to produce tears, muster up laughter or evoke frustration. Those who assume gain no knowledge and lack wisdom."- me
A guy whom I strongly dislike came up to me in photography. This blue-eyed, blond-haired beast towered over me while he observed and questioned, "You're so quiet. Why are you so quiet?"
My response, "You don't always need to talk to get a point across. Silence is be the best reaction/thing at times. Aside from that, you don't know me, so that isn't an accurate statement of who I am."
Other classmates began to chime in with comments about ridiculous remarks he'd said to them. Few points were scored on his defense and redemption did not claim victory on his side. 
The day previous to this was one in which I phoned my sister. His name randomly weaved its way into our conversation as I began to vent on how much this one guy annoyed the crap out of me. I've only talked with him a few times but his behavior bothered me because he'd highlight personal flaws and place himself on an almighty pedestal.
Once this event had ceased (not the chat with my sister) the entirety of the day was spent with me dwelling over this conversation. It shook my core. This year was gonna be different! I was going to be more outgoing and boldly introduce myself to fellow peers. I've grown up, sure, but my behavior remained consistent to previous years. 
Truth- I have stretched myself and talked to various people that I usually wouldn't. The constant difficulty is relating to what the surrounding people talk about. Relationships with the opposite gender, girls and boys being jerks to others, etc... I've hidden myself from those battlefields that would unnecessarily take a toll on my emotions. Discussing the topics that have high ratings in the daily environment in which I'm in are difficult to participate in if I don't experience them. Relating with them is a challenge so silence is the zone where I often make an appearance.
I began justifying my behavior. This assumption of his wasn't accurate in the whole. It did have some truth, which may have been what concerned me the most. 
I brought this event to the knowledge of my dad and asked what his personality was like when he was my age. He replied. "I was quiet, but people knew that when I spoke up I'd usually have something wise to say." He told me the simplest of facts- that he'd incorporate purpose in to his speech- had a significant impact.
People occasionally make the silliest accusations. Some may have a hint of accuracy, but it can't disclaim the value of what/who the assumption is directed to. My peer (now new acquaintance(?)) did/does consider me the silenced, (maybe) sensitive girl. But I'm NOT. His words don't withhold the power to strip me from the title of being God's treasure and becoming who I am by His mighty design.
 The Lord counted all of the hairs on my head, claims that I am more valuable than a sparrow, calls me more precious than rubies, His daughter, His child, and declares this truth over my life: You are the youngest of five kids. You have trouble being teachable. You are enchanted by your older siblings growing up and are enticed by the love stories that are unfolding within your household. You enjoy coffee, writing, reading, the rain, frolicking, listening to music, have limited musical talent, yet love it to the fullest. You fear spiders, the dark and change. You are a daughter who is excited for the future and have high aspirations that vary from each of your siblings. You find joy in using large words that nobody can comprehend, and desire to be somebody of significance. You have difficulty taming your happiness. You are created by me, and for me. Know that I am with you! It is I who gives you boldness when appropriate and love the way that I handcrafted you. Embrace originality and know that nobody can accurately tell my precious daughter who she is under my mighty name, in my precious sight!
My response to these truths: "OH YEAH!!!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment